Skip to main content

Should you co- sleep with your baby or not?


Should you co- sleep with your baby or not?




A hot question of concern to all new moms or the first time moms and even women who have had their second child.

What’s your opinion on this matter?
Okay, all of you who are reading are in some way or the other connected to motherhood.
A time to love your baby, and at the same time- we doubt whether we may overdo this love showered parenting. We are all in the same boat!

This is why I thought maybe I could discuss with a few mothers here.

How do you manage putting your baby to sleep?

Now, there are those days, I cannot just come to open my eyes until my lil gal sleeps off.
Seriously, a small toddler could test your patience to the max! But still, as a mother, or grandparent, and perhaps certain nannies- that small gurgle from that baby is all it takes to melt our hearts away.
My experience with Babies

From a very young age, I have been dealing with a lot of kids. I belonged to a large family, where my father and his sisters and their families lived under one piece of land. Yes, its not under one roof, but we all had small houses in the same plot.

My grand dad was kinda of strict and very particular that he wanted to see his children around him until he passes away. That said, my father and his sisters and of course – their partners, agreed to ensure that he was happy.

They had a huge farm and lie revolved around this plush area of trees, fruits, and animals of all sorts.
As cousins, we were 20 of us in total and you would find children of all ages streaming through our fields. So, baby sitting often landed in the hands of older children.

When I was younger I loved that work, because:
I did not have to open up my books or do the laundry.
I could get to eat small snacks that were prepared for these tiny tots.
Plus, play with their toys.

What I did not like:
Changing their nappies
Feeding time, coz that was a messy affair
Plus, their nap time


Coming back to their nap time, I used to sleep with them very often. But over the years, I began hearing a lot of myths about co- sleeping and wondered whether that was a right thing to do.

Now after so long, I have had my own kids and still I do sleep with them. At this point, you should understand the right way of co sleeping with new born babies.

New Born Babies
You have a one year toddler and that is taxing enough. So, you can imagine how much more difficult it is to look after a new born baby!

Of course, these new born babies don’t run around, or make a lot of sound, but they need a lot of care. From dressing, feeding, nappy change, keeping away from infections and even most importantly – giving them a good sleep time.

If they are not happy with their sleep, then that day is going to be hell for you!

Reasons why Co – Sleeping is not encouraged

Dangerous


Co sleeping is always seen as a point where it could harm the baby. This I do not say no, as it does happen. Being a new mom is stressful, and to not sleep once you lie in bed- is sometimes not possible.

So, if the mom is a deep sleeper, you may not realize that your extra large hug could kill the child.

Short of breath


Main reason of this is shortness of breath. Yes, if the person who lies near the child falls or turns over onto the child- the baby could suffocate to death. The same is the case, if you pull a huge blanket over you and the baby gets locked under the covers.

Heat


Locked under the covers or may a bit tight hug could cause a lot of discomfort for the tiny baby. They could feel hot. Since they are too small to make sounds or push away from you- this could be sickening for the child.

Why I feel you should sleep with your baby?

Bonds well

You baby loves being with you. The more time you cling , the more affinity and relationship the baby gets with you. So, keep hugging, but not suffocating.

Security

Every child wants a feel that their parent is there for them. When a child goes to sleep in the dark, snuggle in together, make soothing sounds and see how fast they fall asleep.

Happiness

Yes, this is the most important point of all and that is exactly why I kept it to the last. Being with a loved one, or your bets friend makes you happy, isn’t it?

So, imagine how much happier a child would feel being with the person they trust and love the most! 

If you are the mother, then they love being with the voice they have been hearing for mothers. If you are the dad, then your warm cuddle is all they need to get sweet dreams and huge smiles on their face.


What’s your take on co- sleeping?

I would definitely recommend co sleeping, but think before choosing it. If you are a heavy person, you may want to avoid it.

If you are the one who sleeps deeply, then I would say refrain from using the same bed.
Habit of snoring? Then, maybe you need to forget the whole idea.

But, I understand- we are all parents at the end of the day, and love to see that cutie tot sleeping.
So, best and safe option is to place a crib right beside your bed, pat your baby, sing a lullaby and be with them the whole night- but not the same bed.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

National or International: Do Children ought to know the daily news?

National or International: Do Children ought to know the daily news? We have all sorts of technology today. The young generation is indeed flooded (or maybe over flooded) with such technology  Kids of this age do use this a lot, but how far is it actually 'good'? If you understand what that means, you are a great observer! Now, back to my point- How many of our children are actually aware of the world around them? You see, apart from good food, parties, Iphones, and videos and mobile games, there is grey area in this world- that does not look very pleasant.    A world of hardship, a struggle for existence, success, career, diseases and so much more.  Kids ought to know.... If you do not make them aware, they will be lost and less equipped for the competitive future that lies ahead of them. Mama, what this? Not my boy, but I had an Indian family staying near our house about 5 years back. Their child was only 12 years, but he made it a

Mom, This is what I am- Help Me!

Mom, This is what I am- Help Me! This is one experience I had come to feel and it still stays at the back of my head. I am a mother, but God’ grace I have never a lot of problems with my kids, or even other kids who belong to our same family. Boys are boys and Girls are girls! The story I would like to share dates back to a long time ago. At that time, I was working at a hospital as a volunteer. The job was really nice. It changed the way I looked at people, life, and even bodies. Oh, don’t get any wrong ideas about my last thoughts. But it is true! There was a time, I felt that if a child is born as a boy- then they turn to grow as a smart lad and then into a handsome guy. The same goes with a girl child. So, once a couple is expecting a child, they go in for medical gender predictions and also the very famous Chinese gender predictor. Frankly, I feel that sometimes medical tests can fail, but I came across this one special CHINESE GENDER PREDICTOR

Can someone suggest how to calm down a child with tantrums?

Can someone suggest how to calm down a child with tantrums? Tantrums, is a phase of toddler life that we all have to confront, face and cope up with. So, do you have a solution for this? I NEED THAT!!!! (this is tantrum zone, and this is all he says when he gets fussy) The time when you little baby is born is one of the most exciting moment of your life. Especially when you are a first time mom, the moment of realization that you actually carried a baby in your womb for nine months. I really don’t know- it is beyond words. The baby is so fragile, so dainty, so delicate and to top it all- so lovably adorable. I am not saying this because it happened to be my lil bundle of joy, but any new born is just too adorable. I mean you could stand and admire their toes, finger nails, their facial expressions, the way they go to sleep, smile and my list could go on. My confession: Till the baby is a bout 6- 9 months old, that cutie pie is surely a bundle of joy. Now