Skip to main content

Can someone suggest how to calm down a child with tantrums?


Can someone suggest how to calm down a child with tantrums?




Tantrums, is a phase of toddler life that we all have to confront, face and cope up with. So, do you have a solution for this?

I NEED THAT!!!! (this is tantrum zone, and this is all he says when he gets fussy)

The time when you little baby is born is one of the most exciting moment of your life. Especially when you are a first time mom, the moment of realization that you actually carried a baby in your womb for nine months. I really don’t know- it is beyond words. The baby is so fragile, so dainty, so delicate and to top it all- so lovably adorable.

I am not saying this because it happened to be my lil bundle of joy, but any new born is just too adorable. I mean you could stand and admire their toes, finger nails, their facial expressions, the way they go to sleep, smile and my list could go on.

My confession: Till the baby is about 6- 9 months old, that cutie pie is surely a bundle of joy. Now after that, I rather not say!

Nothing too horrible, but boy am I tired!

When they are within 6-9 months age group, they hardly move, and you just need to feed, change their nappies and put them off to sleep. Well, you do have a lot of sleepless nights, but at least teh baby is well within your control.

What happens when they are a little older?
A little over one year and they are off to explore the whole world on their own.
Gosh, that’s the time their eyes, nose and ears never fail to catch the most unsuspecting things at home.
If there is something you do not want them to touch- then you can be very sure- that is what they want!

My experiences are worth a laugh!
One minute I can see my 2 years old laughing away to the Hakuna Matata Dance and I am at peace. When I just think that now I can do something or just even rest- there they come with a yell!

Now, what was that about? I enquired and all I get is a set of wails, fuss and requests to get a specific porcelain doll I had kept at the top most shelf. Okay, so far it all sounds ok, but you know kids cannot be given porcelain stuff and as usual my mouth blurted a ‘No’.

O man, you should have got a glimpse at my baby’s face now. I struggled not to laugh and he gives me the expression ‘Are you telling me a No, I can’t believe it!

Well, that was the end of my laugh though and next was a hurl of anger, cries, and all I could see a small tot crying inconsolably.

He started pounding his fists in the wall, stamping his foot to the ground and last he fell to the ground!! His burst of anger came in so suddenly, that I was not quite sure what to expect.
That is what you call as a tantrum and it is definitely not a pleasant sight for the eyes.

What was my solution for this?
Of course, these are all tried and tested methods and that is what is basically I call experience. There was a time when he used to make tantrums almost everyday and with a lot of patience, love and effort- I managed to soothe him.

There were times I became desperate for solutions. I even sought to reading ‘whether I was compatible with my child” and found information in that. Not quite sure if what they had written is all true, but yeah I did find a few lessons in there.

My reading expeditions never ended and I was on the search do find a remedy for my lad who was in the world of tantrums.

Soothing the Kid!
It was never easy. But yeah, you need to do it. I couldn’t just stand and gape my baby crying. I needed to find a solution for the same. And with the help of guidance from experts, and also after reading real life experiences from other mothers, I could handle the tantrum episodes in a much better manner.

Next time a tantrum pops up, I will be better equipped and surely will explain on how I soothe the tantrum in an easier manner.

Still if you have a great solution up your sleeve, do share it with me.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

National or International: Do Children ought to know the daily news?

National or International: Do Children ought to know the daily news? We have all sorts of technology today. The young generation is indeed flooded (or maybe over flooded) with such technology  Kids of this age do use this a lot, but how far is it actually 'good'? If you understand what that means, you are a great observer! Now, back to my point- How many of our children are actually aware of the world around them? You see, apart from good food, parties, Iphones, and videos and mobile games, there is grey area in this world- that does not look very pleasant.    A world of hardship, a struggle for existence, success, career, diseases and so much more.  Kids ought to know.... If you do not make them aware, they will be lost and less equipped for the competitive future that lies ahead of them. Mama, what this? Not my boy, but I had an Indian family staying near our house about 5 years back. Their child was only 12 years, but he made it a

Don’t Repeat That, Jamie!

Don’t Repeat That, Jamie! ‘Give those back to me! You ought to listen to me. Don’t do that, Jamie!!’ The yells and the chase went on and on, and there was no end. Last Jamie asked me, ‘ Why are you after me? You never shout at uncle for this!’ I was shocked, and for a second, I did not know whether I should laugh, or get angry with him- because what he said was true. Oh, before my thoughts wander off into thin air, I owe to give you an idea of what commotion is going on – in Jamie’s house! It was the weekend and his dad had gone for fishing with his boy gang. A few of the women joined in, but since Jamie was not well, we both decided to stay back. By the way, I am Jamie' mom! So, they would be back after four days only. I was relieved to a certain extent, as Jamie could take rest and get better. When his dad was around, he never sits quietly. Back to Reality So, why was I yelling at my lil Jamie? I know you would have though