Skip to main content

Don’t Repeat That, Jamie!


Don’t Repeat That, Jamie!




‘Give those back to me! You ought to listen to me. Don’t do that, Jamie!!’

The yells and the chase went on and on, and there was no end. Last Jamie asked me, ‘ Why are you after me? You never shout at uncle for this!’

I was shocked, and for a second, I did not know whether I should laugh, or get angry with him- because what he said was true.

Oh, before my thoughts wander off into thin air, I owe to give you an idea of what commotion is going on – in Jamie’s house!

It was the weekend and his dad had gone for fishing with his boy gang. A few of the women joined in, but since Jamie was not well, we both decided to stay back. By the way, I am Jamie' mom!

So, they would be back after four days only. I was relieved to a certain extent, as Jamie could take rest and get better. When his dad was around, he never sits quietly.

Back to Reality

So, why was I yelling at my lil Jamie? I know you would have thought about that. You know children, they are silent when are suffering from fever. Once the medicine acts and they feel better- then you get the real colors of these kids.

So, he was better and all he wanted to do- was go for skating. I did not let him do so, as that would exert him a lot. He was 8 years old, and the moment I went off to the kitchen, he was up to his tricks. He put his skating attire and smiled naughtily at me.

He called me softly, ‘Mommmmyyy’. I turned to see him showing a finger at me. Oh man, was I plunging in a fit of rage!

I told him to stop right there, but where would he listen? He was playing and escaping from my hands. He kept laughing, repeating the same dirty action and this went for a few rounds.

I was sad, and angry and told him not to do so. I wondered from where Last, I sat on the sofa – totally fed up and exhausted. He stood a few steps away from me and asked, ‘ Why are you after me? You never shout at uncle for this!’

I ran out of words. How did he ever notice that his uncle did the same thing?

I explained to him that it was not a good thing to do and children of God never try such dirty actions. Uncle is not bad, but maybe ignorant and he would not listen to me. My Jamie was not convinced, but promised not to show it again in life.

This was only because he knew I was hurt and deeply disappointed with his actions. With this small incident, I understood a few things about children. It is based on what I experienced in life and I feel it may be useful for you also.

What A Child Taught Me?

A child watches you more than you can ever imagine.

Your actions leave more impressions in their mind than you may have ever realized. So, even if you smile, or even if you shout at them – it stays for long!

In my case, his uncle was a bit of an irritating character, who used to fool around with the small kids in small card games, or board games. If he won, he would just show his finger and show his teeth as he smiled away wickedly.

Now, that was what caught my Jamie’s attention! He understood that if he could fool someone and get what he wanted- then the finger was to be shown.

He never knew the meaning of it, but he felt a sense of victory in it! And that is what he displayed!

Education means much more than those books and images that you teach children. 

It also includes teaching children how to behave rightly.

I also learned that you need to balance tantrums, chaos and also peace of the house and that is what makes a happy home. Less of yells, and more of love is all what parenting a bit more fun.

I do know that these things would be written in Value Education books, but if the child belongs to a home where the father beats his mother – then that is what is going to stay in the child’s mind for a long time.

It is true that we as adults, cannot act as perfect and calm as we plan to be. Life is full of ups and downs and anger, fights, yells, grief are bound to come by.

But in the midst of all that- we as parents need to take time- to help them identify the right and wrong.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

National or International: Do Children ought to know the daily news?

National or International: Do Children ought to know the daily news? We have all sorts of technology today. The young generation is indeed flooded (or maybe over flooded) with such technology  Kids of this age do use this a lot, but how far is it actually 'good'? If you understand what that means, you are a great observer! Now, back to my point- How many of our children are actually aware of the world around them? You see, apart from good food, parties, Iphones, and videos and mobile games, there is grey area in this world- that does not look very pleasant.    A world of hardship, a struggle for existence, success, career, diseases and so much more.  Kids ought to know.... If you do not make them aware, they will be lost and less equipped for the competitive future that lies ahead of them. Mama, what this? Not my boy, but I had an Indian family staying near our house about 5 years back. Their child was only 12 years, but he made it a

Can someone suggest how to calm down a child with tantrums?

Can someone suggest how to calm down a child with tantrums? Tantrums, is a phase of toddler life that we all have to confront, face and cope up with. So, do you have a solution for this? I NEED THAT!!!! (this is tantrum zone, and this is all he says when he gets fussy) The time when you little baby is born is one of the most exciting moment of your life. Especially when you are a first time mom, the moment of realization that you actually carried a baby in your womb for nine months. I really don’t know- it is beyond words. The baby is so fragile, so dainty, so delicate and to top it all- so lovably adorable. I am not saying this because it happened to be my lil bundle of joy, but any new born is just too adorable. I mean you could stand and admire their toes, finger nails, their facial expressions, the way they go to sleep, smile and my list could go on. My confession: Till the baby is a bout 6- 9 months old, that cutie pie is surely a bundle of joy. Now